Sunday, 2 August 2009

Fat?

O.K. I know I'm no Erin Wasson. At six foot tall, I'm a typical pear - UK 10 (US 6) on the top and UK 12 (US 8) from the waist down. Save my thighs and bum, I've got a very boyish frame - no waist, no hips, small boobs. So, I'm thankful for the nice curve that discerns me as a woman. Clearly that's not sufficient. Walking down Dame Street today, I had three young tourists laugh at me and call me fat. I must admit I was pretty taken aback - firstly at being jeered in public; secondly, for the sheer size-ist nature of the remark. Since when did a woman's size - whether she's a 2 or 22 - become cause for comment? It's like the pages of Heat taken to the street. Unnerving.
Image courtesy of Dale Harris

7 comments:

xgirl said...

What?!? You are so far from fat, they were really reaching with that if they wanted to insult you for some reason. How weird.

Kirstie said...

annmarie - that is quite frankly INSANE. You are tall, lean and lithe - fat? Absolutely no frigging way. Even a teeny pound over, no. Fuck them - assholes is the only way to put it.

Ailbhe Malone said...

Cunts. Bet they were wearing tye-die stonewash denim overalls with matching bumbags. x

watermemory said...

I have absolutely no idea what you look like, but that's beside the point- what an absolutely loathsome thing to say.

I will never understand the urge to pass remarks in this way.

Anonymous said...

Surely they said phat - meaning awesome or hot girl?

blanaid said...

That is incredibly bizarre, Regardless of the fact that you're blatantly not fat, who the hell do they think they are commenting on anyone?! I wonder what other nastiness they were spreading around that day..

Intrinsically Florrie said...

That is rediculous!
At 6ft tall those are perfectly normal, if not on the slim side, sizes. I think it says more about them than you.
You are just fine, and even if you were extremely obese they have no right to do that to someone and are just horrid. It's such a shame people feel they can do things like this. Who knows their (insane) reasons, I'm sorry it happened to you.